Sunday, April 10, 2011

who AM I?

Well, obviously I'm a lady.
I'm also a daughter/sister/wife (not a sister wife, though...just to be clear).
I'm a teacher.
I'm a best friend.
I'm a cat mama.
I'm a runner.
I'm a reader.
I'm a food LOVER.
And apparently, I'm a cook. Not an amazing one, by any stretch of the imagination. I don't make up my own recipes, but I sure know how to find some winning recipes online!
Today, I cooked 2 seriously awesome meals, and I couldn't be prouder of myself. :)

Let's start with lunch.
Breakfast kind of got away from me, as I headed out the door at 7:30 to work out with Alyssa at her gym. I had a Chobani pineapple greek yogurt on my way, and a small bowl of Kashi Go Lean (the original, not crunch or crisp...it's my FAVORITE, in case you want to shower me with any gifts of cereal.).
After a sweaty session at the gym (30 minutes on an Arc, 30 minutes on a treadmill, 10 minutes of abs/stretching), I was itching to make Rachel's Friday Night French Toast! It has all the makings of a seriously amazing breakfast-turned-lunch, including french toast, bananas, and EGGS!
carefully following Rachel's recipe!
Look who helped me cook...he's so mad that I took that picture! Gotta document that fine kitchen help! ;)
nice camo pants, husband.
We mixed up a batch of eggs and milk and cinnamon, then dipped several slices of wheat bread in it, and fried them on the griddle.
full stove top!
While the french toast slices were sizzling away, Ben sauteed two small bananas in some margarine, with a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I fried several eggs, to go into our french toast sandwiches!
Ben's open-faced sandwiches, not quite ready!
my french toast egg and banana sandwich! topped with syrup! SO GOOD!
Our breakfast for lunch was amazing. We both really enjoyed these french toast sandwiches that contained a good serving of protein and fruit! I can't wait to make these again.

*Insert several hours of lounging, lesson planning, and light cleaning*
good helper.

Fast forward to about 5:00 pm, when I decided to marinate some chicken in a McCormick's Mexican Fiesta seasoning packet, and started thinking about dinner plans.
I knew I wanted to have something spicy with the chicken, and my mind popped to NACHOS! But, we have no chips! What's a girl to do with no tortilla chips and a hankerin' for nachos?!
Make them, of course!!!!!
I googled "baked lime tortilla chips" and up popped The Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen website with this easy and fast recipe!
I love how easy it is to find recipes online!
We simply cut up two tortilla chips, brushed them on both sides with olive oil, then brushed them on both sides with a mixture of salt and lime juice, and baked those babies!
all juiced up and ready to cook!
After baking at 350 for about seven minutes, I pulled the pan out, flipped each chip over, and slid them back into the oven for another 8 minutes.
I wish I had only baked them for about 5-6 more minutes, because as you can see, they're a little brown....
crispyyyyyy goodness!
But my gosh, these chips are WONDERFUL!
They are crispy, salty and full of delicious lime flavor. Though they browned farther than my liking, I really like the taste! They don't taste burned, just...cooked!
all ready for dinner!
These chips are seriously SO good.
I can't wait to have them aside a pile of spinach, chicken, black beans, and salsa! :)
Happy Sunday evening to you all!

4 comments:

  1. I am officially starving, its time to go make dinner!!
    the french toast and tortilla chips looks AMAZING ( but not together ;) )
    Awesome job on the early gym sesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! PS love the barefoot wine in the background--my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  3. why have i never heard of french toast, egg, banana sammies? this might be my dinner tonight! delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those french toast egg and banana sandwich topped with syrup is just so salivating!!!! It makes me want to make one for myself! oh not just one, maybe I will have two. Those syrups? those are maple syrups right? I am just craving for those french toast egg and banana sandwich!


    Visit my site: Relocation and Divorce

    ReplyDelete