Monday, June 6, 2011

Goals and a kettlebell experience!

Hi friends! Happy Monday!

After visiting the beautiful Vanessa's blog, I feel compelled to make a list of my weekly goals...so, let's do this!

Fitness:
-run and bike a total of 50 miles! this is totally doable, if I bike 3x at 15 miles per session, and then do at least 2 running 5ks!
-weight train at least once this week!
-attend at least one fitness class at my gym!

Health:
-eat my vitamins EVERY day!
-drink lots and lots of water...as in, fill my Tervis at least 3 times with ice water.
-BIG green salad at least once a day...typically this happens at lunch (like today!) so this should be easy.
-no fast food!!!!!!!! duh.


Getting these notes out in writing really helps me solidify how important it is to work toward short-term goals, and not focus so intensely on long-term goals, like weight-loss or running a marathon!
I've been so busy stressing myself out trying to figure out a way to lose weight and feel great...but what I need to do is create short-term goals that are attainable and realistic. I feel good about the goals I listed above.
So far, I can check off my weight-training goal....I did Jillian Michael's Shred it with Weights, using at 10lb kettleball! That girl is crazy pants. I have her 30-day shred, which I don't love, don't hate. This new work out is TOUGH but great! And I love using weights while working out, it feels so productive.  This was my first experience with a kettlebell (which I want to spell kettlebAll SO badly). I liked the way Jillian explained how to "explode" the kettlebell up with energy from your hips! I felt very powerful.
annnnnnnd CRUNCH! 

I've decided to end my gym membership, for lots of reasons...finances, location, lack of gym buddy, etc. So, today I stopped at Walmart on my way home from school and picked up a few at-home gym essentials...

  • Jillian Michael's Shred it with Weights
  • Jillian Michael's 6-week 6-pack
  • Gold's Gym 10lb kettlebell
  • Gold's Gym medicine ball
I'm hoping that adding these fitness pieces to my already expansive collection of dvds and workout tools will help me stay motivated and consistent with my at-home workouts. I plan to continue running outdoors, and would like to look into purchasing a bike this summer! I may also look around at other gyms in my area, including a YMCA right around the corner...but for now I'm going to encourage myself to work out at home, save money, and explore some new fitness techniques. 

HEY GUESS WHAT?! There are only 2 and 1/2 (student) school days left! And then 3 more workdays! And then it's SUMMER VACATION!!!!! Weeee!

Dinner tonight is was a sampling plate of fresh fruit, veggies, a hardboiled egg, and a 100-calorie bag of popcorn....aka the lazy girl's dinner.
P.S. I should note that I ate 3 mini cookies (for my student's party tomorrow) and a 90-calorie snack pack of rice cakes on my drive home...so though my dinner looks small, it's really just dinner part 2. :)
that egg was a stinker to crack and shell. 
Oh, here's a question for you: kiwis. skin ON or OFF? I swear I've seen people eat them with the skin/fur (ew?) on...but I've never tried it. Thoughts?

Time for Bones on Fox.com in bed. Do I know how to have a crazy Monday night or what?

2 comments:

  1. I've never eaten the kiwi skin...eww!
    My recaps really help me--if I put it on the blog I better do it! We have so much in common, I just gave up my gym too. I have about 3 weeks left to use it though. Great stuff you picked up for your home gym!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice goals! I have recently been motivated by the fitnessistas SUMMER SHAPE UP, may start that up tm!
    I have NEVER had kiwi with the skin on it and i keep debating on if i should try it but thats just WEIRD to me!

    ReplyDelete