Sunday, June 5, 2011

new computer and a homemade hummus!

Hi all! I'm blogging from my brand spankin' new Macbook Pro! It's a beaut!
Google reader was my first website to open...duh :)
Izzy likes the laptop, so far. She's been watching me work on it with wide eyes.
"I like your new thing, Ma."
Backing up a bit...Ben and I have been using desktop computers since our early college years, and mine has been through a lot! It's had multiple viruses, had it's hard drive wiped clean, and it's still not working well. Ben's computer is more reliable, but it's a desktop, which means no computer-ing on the couch or in bed. So, after using and LOVING my sister's Macbook Pro, I decided it was time to make my move and purchase my own laptop! Ben and I visited the Apple store last night, and we were SO pleased with the customer service and overall experience. The men that helped us were SUPER friendly and helpful. I got a discount, because I'm a teacher...and they threw in a free (after rebate) Epson 3-in-1 printer! I also got a new case for my iPhone, as the past one was getting cracked and the plastic was peeling.
Kate Spade...because I'm fancy like that. 
Moving on to today!
This morning I had a hankering for hummus, and have been craving some homemade hummus for weeks. If you remember, my wonderful parents bought us our first food processor for our 1st anniversary, back in April. Ben used it once to make deviled eggs for Easter, but I hadn't found the energy/time/recipes to use it...until today!
I ran to Harris Teeter for a few important ingredients...
almost ready!

When I got home, I did some blog-searching and remembered Meghann's recent experiences making hummus, so I re-read her first hummus post for inspiration.
All ready!
peeling those beans took TOO long, but it was worth it!
Ben chopped a head of garlic beforehand. 
Mix mix mix...
a little pot of hummus! 
I scooped out about 1/2 cup to store in a tupperware container, and then I brought out the big guns...roasted red peppers! We threw a few in the food processor (and a few in our mouths...MMMMM).
oh sweet (garlicky) heavens! SO GOOD!
The first batch of plain, garlicky hummus was good...but the second batch of roasted red pepper hummus was AMAZING! I took several tastes before storing in a air-tight tupperware for later snacking! It's creamy and dreamy and extra delicious. I'm so proud of us for making homemade hummus!

Garlic-Lover's Dream Hummus:

  • 1 head of garlic, minced in the food processor
  • 1 large can of garbanzo beans, drained and with shells peeled (shells off=smoother texture of hummus) 
  • 3 tbsp tahini
  • 2 tbsp lime juice (lemon would probably be better, but we were out!)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup liquid from garbanzo beans (or water would work)
  • directions: mix ingredients, pulse in food processor, gradually adding olive oil and garbanzo bean liquid, mix until smooth and thick (or thin, if that's how you like it!)
  • Add ins: 2 roasted red peppers, dried rosemary, thyme, and parsley
  • Serve with pita chips, fresh veggie sticks, or tortilla chips! Also would be great on a salad or wrap!


Just got back from the pool, took a shower, and I'm thinking about popping a few pitas in the oven to serve as dippers in the homemade hummus. And it's happy hour time, so I'll need a Summer Shandy! :)
Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the new computer! I've got a Mac and I love it so much. That hummus looks fantastic!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MacBooks and Kate Spade iPhone cases... not to mention the homemade hummus -- it's like we're soulmates! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. macbooks are ammaazzinnngggggg! I have one ( but not a pro!) i recently got a new iphone case too that i lovveee but its not kate spade fancy ;)
    I made homemade hummus once and DID NOT LIKE IT! I did something wrong so i need to try again asap!

    ReplyDelete